Saturday, January 2, 2016

Hexaflexagons

I actually found a copy of my old post on Hexaflexagons!


So... the 'dates' are a little off.


Last spring I attended the NCTM national conference in Denver.  I attended some really great sessions.  The last one was the finale with George and Vi Hart.  They are what I like to call “recreational mathematicians.”  You know… because that’s a thing!  After seeing some of Vi’s videos, I was interested.   
 


Later, I decided I wanted to do the hexaflexagons in school.  It was her idea, really.  We had a hexaflexagon party on Martin Gardner’s birthday.  He was the ‘original recreational mathematician.’    His birthday is October 21, so I put it on iCal, and waited for the day to come.  I showed Vi’s videos Hexaflexagons, Hexaflexagons 2, Hexaflexagon Safety Guide, and Hexaflexamexagon- I think that’s the one that hooked me originally!  I printed off the hexaflexagon template.  I told the kids to be sure to make good creases!  They created their tri-hexaflexagons, decorated them, and a few even tried the hexa-hexaflexagon.

 


Truthfully, I have not figured out the hexa-hexaflexagon.  In due time.  …  I’m getting better at the tri-hexaflexagon.  One class (out of 6) I had a tough time with the tri-hexaflexagon.  I finally got it to fold the correct way and it was the very end of class.  I decided to go ahead and let them finish it the next day, but we didn’t need to spend an entire class on it.  So I came up with a little research worksheet.  To ensure they didn’t use Wikipedia, I made them ‘cite’ their sources.


 


I thought it was pretty cool and the kids liked it.  It makes math fun again- at least a little!

I made them color some design to show that when you 'flex' it, the design changes.



This year, I made my own template.  It wasn't too difficult, but it worked the best.  It was not perfect, but if you made the creases well, then you could make a hexaflexagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment