Saturday, January 2, 2016

We are Thankful for...

I like to use half- sheets of 8.5X11 grid paper.

It's usually large enough to fit one word.  (When it's not, then the kids add another paper, or part of another paper to the end.)



The student draws his or her name on the paper.  Then he or she calculates the midpoint of each segment.
The student draws a (pre-approved) word on the paper.  Then he or she calculates the slope of each segment.
The student draws a (pre-approved) word on the paper.  Then he or she calculates the distance of each segment.
The student draws a (pre-approved) word on the paper in block letters.  Then he or she calculates the perimeter and area of each composite figure.



The pre-approved word usually has a theme.  
This time the theme was things we are thankful for.  
The composite figures happen around January/February, so the theme is things we love.

To help fit the theme, I offer extra credit when certain colors are used.  For the things we love, I recommended that they use red, pink, orange, or purple.  Then I taped them on the wall in a heart design.
I didn't think I would be able to succeed again with a pumpkin shape, so I cheated.  I used my projector to draw a pumpkin shape, and then just put the words in the color-appropriate place.
For the thankful theme, I recommended they use orange, brown, or green.



Some kids used a mixture, but that didn't really help my wall-picture.  Next time I will need to emphasize: orange OR brown OR green!
I did use those words, off to the side.  I didn't get a clear picture of them though.

Last year when I did the Things We Love, there were some repeats, and I left them off. 


I used purple because it's one of our school colors.


For this to work, the kids had to follow these guidelines:
*Every letter must have only straight line segments.  No curves!

*Every segment must have a slope that is not zero or undefined.  (No horizontal or vertical lines.)

**Generally, this activity is easier to do with all-capital letters.
**Sometimes letters can be a little tricky to make w/o vertical or horizontal lines.  These can be done by placing the letters at an angle and/or drawing them 'artistically.'



For these projects, the kids have to show work.  

That work must include calculations with the ordered pairs.  (That is the entire point of this project.)  
It has to be organized!

I tried to come up with several, various, long words.  If the kids come up with an alternative, they can use it as long as I approve of it.  I usually go for at least 6 or 7 letters:
For the Thankful activity, the list I gave them was:



BREATHING


CAMPFIRES


CELLULAR


ABILITY


FRIENDS

CLOTHING


CHILDREN


EDUCATION


CHALLENGES


HOLIDAYS

EYESIGHT


FREEDOM


ELECTRICITY


LEARNING


MOUNTAINS

GROCERIES


OPPORTUNITY


EMPLOYMENT


READING


SUNSETS

HEARING


RAINBOWS


INTERNET


SECURITY


SUNSHINE

MEDICINE


AFFECTION


PLUMBING


SLEEPING


VACATIONS

MILITARY


DEVOTION


SAVINGS


WISDOM


WEEKENDS

VACCINES


KINDNESS


VEHICLE


DIVERSITY


LAUGHTER



Check out my Characteristics Activity.  It's similar, but here they calculate slope.
Check out my Name Activity.  It's similar, but here they calculate midpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment